Vankorneft JSC, a subsidiary of NK Rosneft JSC, was established in 2004 to develop the Vankor oil, gas and condensate field located in Krasnoyarsk Krai. The company employs over 4500 people.
Automation of the IT service and asset management is an essential tool at a modern enterprise. Realizing this, the management of Vankorneft made a decision to design and implement an appropriate system. The project partnered with Softline, a company with extensive expertise in the field of IT management system development.
The product line based on Microsoft System Center 2012 was chosen as the main tool. In order to fully satisfy the customer's requirements, the standard configuration of the IT service management tool was significantly modified. The employees of the Business Consulting Department and the Microsoft Solutions Center of the Softline Representative Office in Novosibirsk made improvements that allowed:
- Provision of a single-entry point for end users via a self-service portal based on Microsoft Sharepoint Server 2013;
- Creation of a three-level service catalog, as well as dynamic route cards for the services provided; provision of advanced means of reconciling and processing service requests;
- Creation of an easy-to-use self-service portal interface by replacing basic Silverlight solutions with HTML5 objects; implementation of a function for creating complex combined queries with subsequent status tracking.
Critical service monitoring was implemented with System Center Operation Manager 2012 services. BridgeWays, Nice and Veeam solutions were additionally used to maximize the coverage of endpoint servers with agent software. This allowed solutions to be monitored based on IBM, VMware, FreeBSD, SUN, HP, etc.
Employees of the Softline Krasnoyarsk Office have integrated the solutions used with the System Center Orchestrator 2012 process automation tools.
Hardware and software management was implemented with the System Center Configuration Manager 2012 CMS and the Provance Extension Pack for System Center Service Manager 2012.
As a result of the implementation of IT asset management tools, the customer received:
- The capacity to form a unified database on the software and hardware acquisition;
- A tracking tool for events related to the software and hardware use (assignment, relocation, repair, disposal, etc.);
- A process automation solution to assess the legality of the software's use and IT-asset contracts management.
Print management was implemented using the Print Audit 6 software. The tool allowed expenditure to be controlled and optimization of costs for this service.
Integration of all components of the implemented system both with each other and with the customer's inherited infrastructure ensured the transparency in activities of IT departments, a possibility to forecast IT events and the costs of services provided.
Moreover, an additional analytical reporting tool was developed under the project, which immediately provides all types of management, technical and financial information.
The implementation of ITAM/ITSM at Vankorneft enabled the company's IT managers to improve the efficiency of IT infrastructure management, provide centralized and structured searchable data storage with the information analysis feature, create a unified information space for IT department employees, automate accounting, control and management of all IT infrastructure components.
“The project was challenging and very interesting. During the implementation, we tried to accommodate all preferences of Vankorneft JSC and adapt standard solutions to the customer's business processes. This required significant enhancements and revisions in standard system settings. When the project launched in 2012, the SC2012 platform had just been released. At that time, even the vendor did not have the necessary expertise – we had to look for nonstandard solutions. And we fully succeeded in that," –
Yuri Goryachy, Head of Sales, Business Consulting Department, Softline.